Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 2019 Winner - What I Learned From a Child

Deetje's Grandson

There were fewer poems than usual in March. Some were about children but not clearly about something the poet learned from a child. I hope that doesn’t mean that few poets take the time to listen to and observe children necessary from learning from then. As I said at the beginning of the month, listening to children is as important as talking to them. When we truly listen, we learn about them, but we also learn from them. And we let them know they are valued. (Okay, enough pontificating. I don’t usually do that on this blog.)

The judge, Linda Wallin, picked a short, fun poem, written by a grandmother, the fun-loving kind of grandmother with whom children like to spend time. Here it is:

The Lesson

I taught my grandson to say,
“See you later, alligator.
After while, crocodile.”

But then
when it came time
to leave my home,
he said to me,
“See you later, crocodile.”
He wanted me to reply,
“After while, alligator.”

So I did,
and learned
this is lots more fun!

~ by Deetje J. Wildes

Deetje J. Wildes maintains copyright on this  poem.


Bios:

In addition to writing poetry, Deetje J. Wildes enjoys making music and experimenting with visual arts. She is an enthusiastic member of Western Wisconsin Christian Writers Guild, and a regular contributor to “Faith Walk” magazine (Eau Claire, Wisconsin Leader-Telegram).

Linda Wallin taught disabled students full-time for 25 years and currently teaches gifted children Lego Robotics at the Center for Gifted at National-Louis University. She has three children and two grandchildren who bring her great joy. When she is not on the computer, she is quilting, reading or writing. Her web sites include www.dwna.net, Wallin’s Wave, A Boomer Retirement, and Living With Geniuses.


Check back late on April 1 for the April Poetry Challenge.


© Wilda Morris