Friday, June 27, 2014

June 2014 Poetry Challenge Winner





There were several interesting poems submitted this month. If you haven’t tried the prompt of writing about what you “wish” you were, or writing as if you are something other than the person you are, you might want to give it a try. One writer wishes she were a queen (beware if you don’t treat her right); another would like to be a griffin or a unicorn. The winner, though, says she is the wind.

I am the wind

The weary sailor looks out to sea
A solitary figure
Battered hull
And lifeless sail
Mirrored in the glassy stillness of the water
Raising his rope scarred fist to the sky
He curses and rails
Then pleads and prays
I consider

A dot of red
Dancing against a summer-blue sky
Tethered to the small hand
Of a laughing child
I lift
I pull
I watch the joy of the tiny figure
I could leave; I could steal
Instead, I play

An old woman, some say a crone
Bent with her years
Tends to her roses in the simmering sun
Veined hands pressing a damp hankie to her face
Just one more shrub, maybe two
The white heat beats down
I gather some shaded air; pine tree cool
and blow softly, blow sweetly,
caressing the nape of her neck
I feel her smile

Gale force
Cars tumbled
Roofs gone
Trees uprooted and tossed like playthings
Sobbing folks fold to the ground in rag doll style
Their life’s work gone
A wake of devastation
Then silence
Sometimes my force cannot be contained

and the sailor?

His ocean gray eyes brighten
His body alert
As he senses the smallest stirring of air
His sail flutters
As does his heart
Then fills
As does his heart
He is laughing; he is flying; cutting through the choppy sea
He travels with my blessing

I am the wind

Mary Cohutt

This poem has a series of interesting images, beginning and ending with the sailor. The wind hold control over the fate of the sailor. But between the first and last stanzas, we see other places the wind is at work, and other people who feel its impact.

Mary Cohutt is a Leasing Consultant from Western Massachusetts. She also has her own business, "The Good Daughter," which provides business assistance to older people.  She has two adult children and two grandchildren. She has been a winner in the Poetry Challenge before.

The poems this month were judged by two members of the Poetic Lights group of which I am a member, Marilyn Huntman Giese and Linda Wallin.

© Wilda Morris