Friday, September 29, 2017

September Poetry Challenge Winners - Horse Poems

Photo courtesy of Sherry Elmer. Used by permission.


There were a number of excellent horse poems submitted this month. Christine Swanberg judged the contest. There was a tie for third place:


Horse Sense

True to the path,
the horse bears the troubles
of an anxious boy on its back.
The horse gives reassurance
with its steady cadence of steps
along a grassy trail,
while the overhead sun
colors the sky gold.
A gentle wind tussles its mane
with slight tugs on its rein felt,
and the horse feels a tender bond
with the young rider on its back.
Mostly the horse feels
an easing of minds
found in an afternoon shared.

~ Mike Bayles

The judge said this is a “lovely portrait of horse and rider.” Tied with it is:


Ruffian and I

The Seventh of July in nineteen seventy-five
Two thoroughbreds thundering around the track
One a stallion, a Kentucky Derby winner
One a filly, but bigger than most of the boys
She was pulling away when her leg shattered
But she didn’t stop running
Even the next day, coming out of anesthesia
Laying on her side and strapped down
She started running again
Undoing the repairs done to her trashed bones
Still running until the drugs took hold
That ended her running forever.

The Fourth of July in two oh one five
Yes, just forty years later
And I can’t run either
A race cancelled, an ankle on ice
Yes, my spirit wants to keep running
But unlike the great filly, I can make myself stop.

~ Chris Loehmer Kincaid

Swanberg liked the “unflinching honesty regarding fate of Ruffian, boldly stated and compassionate.”

Second place goes to the following poem:


Portrait of Tennessee Walking Horse

I study your large head, your mane silvered
with age. In your warm brown eyes, time
dissolves as I reach back beyond the accident,

and you become breath of sun-scorched hay,
nuzzle against my arm, lick of tongue on my hand.
You lip apple wedges from my palm, and I listen
to the chew and crunch. I meet your steady gaze
on my face like a small thank you between us.

Standing before you in silence today,
the canter of hooves across the vast and varied terrain
fills my body with animal energy—
the power you hold within, the gentleness it belies.
Your coat carries the arc and blur of summer,
wafting scent of clover.
You return me to earthly abundance,
re-learning all that was lost in the fall.

~ Mary Jo Balistreri

“The accident which is alluded to makes the poem mysterious and powerful,” according to Christine Swanberg.

First place goes to “Matins.”


Matins   
                             
The pony and I know the wind
is coming. In the corral
               
on the bronze hill we do
our chores. While I rake and shovel
              
she follows, nudging the wheelbarrow,
ears flicking forward to listen
            
to the first killdeer on the lake.
                
I tell my husband this is my other life—
morning before the children
             
race for the bus, my little mare
touching my face with her soft muzzle
              
and frosted whiskers. When I'm gone the wind
will rush across the water and we will both be
               
leaning into it.

~ Lisa Zimmerman

Swanberg said, “I appreciate the elegant title, sculpted form (couplets followed by single line), and intimate narrative of this poem.”

Congratulations to these four poet for their fine work. Each poet retains ownership of his or her own poem. Please do not copy the poems without permission.

Bios:

Mary Jo Balistreri has two books of poetry published by Bellowing Ark Press, a chapbook and a mini chapbook of haiku in the Infinites Series by Tiger’s Eye Press. Her new book, Still, will be published in September of 2018 by Future Cycle Press. You are invited to visit her at maryjobalistreripoet.com.  
Mike Bayles is the author of Breakfast at the Good Hope Home (918 Studio Press), a literary collage, that tells a story about a son visiting his Alzheimer’s father in the nursing home. His visits with relatives and friends on farms has given him an appreciation between humans and animals.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid has been writing and loving horses ever since she can remember. Her fourth book, Where the Sky Meets the Sand, was released the first of September and though there are no horses in it, there are many scenes in which the active imagination can picture riding a horse across the African plain. She says, “As so many teen-age girls, my younger days were filled with dreams about horses. The 1975 match race between Foolish Pleasure and Ruffian, during which Ruffian shattered her leg. The next day, she had to be put down. I’m pretty sure that was the first time in my young life that I cried uncontrollably.

Lisa Zimmerman’s poetry and short stories have appeared in Natural Bridge, Florida Review, River Styx, Colorado Review, Poet Lore, Cave Wall, Redbook and other journals. She has published six poetry collections, most recently The Light at the Edge of Everything and The Hours I Keep. Her poems have been nominated four times for the Pushcart Prize. Lisa is an associate professor at the University of Northern Colorado and lives with her husband in north Fort Collins.

Photo courtesy of Sherry Elmer. Used by permission.

Check back early in October for the next Poetry Challenge.

© Wilda Morris