Monday, July 30, 2018

July Shopping Poem Winner


Most of the poems about shopping were nostalgic. Several poems recounted experiences from childhood – shopping with Mom or Grandma, or with an older cousin who bought the poetic persona two packages of Beatles Bubble Gum. One poem was about digging though the sales bins in competition with other women; another ended with a person in grief in a supermarket. John J. Gordon is awarded an Honorable Mention for his poem, “Shopping,” about being dragged along with his mother who liked to take the train into Chicago for the whole day—most of it spent at Marshall Field’s checking out women’s clothing and accessories, fine china and fancy glassware, which his mother could not afford.

The winning poem is by Paula J. Lambert:


Breathing In This World

The scent of you rises suddenly as I sort
through Women’s Long Sleeve Blouses.
It is surely you, clear as day, wanting to be
known. (This is why my sister won’t shop
for thrift store clothes: dead men’s clothes,
she calls them.) But here you are & here I am,
breathing you in: Smoker. The scent is strong,
& I know at once that you are strong. I think
of smoke, of fire, of all the fires burning
all around us. I think of wanting, of longing,
desire, of all that comes to us on the inhale,
all the tiny particles of one another. I breathe in
the smoke you once held in your lungs & we
are bonded. I have taken in the scent of others
here, their soaps and their perfumes, I have
taken in the tall woman beside me, who
watches me closely, who reeks of me finding
what she has not yet found. In the next aisle,
two men: one releasing anger, his breath
a slender thread I’d like to pull, the other
singing softly What I Like about You and
I can’t help but sing myself. The store is bright
with the promise of Being Here Now & when
I leave Women’s Long Sleeve Blouses,
I take you with me, past Toys, past Furniture
teaming with life, and we stop to look at Lamps.
It’s not light I need. I want just the right shade
for a sky-blue lamp I’d bought at another thrift
store, one more thing passed from hand to hand,
from time to time & aren’t we all that, dear,
living or dead? Aren’t we all light passed from
hand to hand? Aren’t we all the lingering smoke
of each other’s fires?   

~ Paula J. Lambert

Paula J. Lambert is a literary and visual artist from Columbus, Ohio. Author of The Ecstasy of Wanting, The Sudden Seduction of Gravity, and The Guilt That Gathers, she is a Residency Artist for the Ohio Arts Council Arts Learning Program and past recipient of an Ohio Arts Council Individual Artist Fellowship. She has published widely in journals and anthologies and taught numerous workshops and seminars on the writing process. Lambert also owns Full/Crescent Press, a small but growing publisher of poetry books and broadsides. 


Writer: paulajlambert(dot)com
Full/Crescent Press: fullcrescent(dot)com 
Facebook: Paula J. Lambert, Literary and Visual Art Full/Crescent Press
Instagram: pjlpoet, pjlcardboard


© Wilda Morris (Paula J. Lambert retains copyright on her poem)