Thursday, February 28, 2019

Again this month it was difficult selecting winners in the Poetry Challenge. I settled on two of the less complex (but nevertheless, interesting) poems—one a rhyming poem; the other, free verse.

“Counterpoint” could be called an old-fashioned romantic poem, and perhaps it is. But it is well-constructed and fun.


Counterpoint

Someone told him love is blind.
That was before he saw her.
Surely his eyes were open wide,
and he plotted ways to wow her.

He offered to take her for a spin.
She was thinking Ferris wheel.
Not a happy woman, when
his auto tires began to squeal.

She told him she’d enjoy a show.
Which one? He thought he knew it.
But when she left before the end,
he knew he really blew it!

However, he would persevere
and rid himself of guile.
She recently had second thoughts, and
joined him walking down the aisle.

~ Deetje J. Wildes


The second poem deals with misunderstood conversation. I have not asked the poet if this is a true account of an actual conversation; it doesn’t matter. If it didn’t actually happen this way, it could have. I didn't "catch" it on first reading, but would have done so had I read it aloud.


Like A Bull

“Flared nostrils, heavy breathing, determined gaze”
I shake my head “No, that’s not what I’m saying”
We keep repeating ourselves but fail to communicate 
I see red. I’m determined to be understood
She asks “Like a bull?” 
I say “No, likeable!” 

~ Rebekah Scher


Congratulations Rebekah and Deetje!

The poets published on this blog retain copyright on their poems.


Bios:

Rebekah Scher is a poet currently based in the Chicago suburbs. She is submitting poems for publication, as well as continuing to write new work. She also keeps a day job at a finance firm so that she doesn’t become a starving artist.

Deetje J. Wildes is an enthusiastic member of Western Wisconsin Christian Writers Guild. She enjoys making music and experimenting with visual arts.




© Wilda Morris